There’s nothing new under the sun. There has been someone who has been there before and done it.
Mentoring is a powerful personal growth and career development method that can help advance one’s professional goals and aspirations. Mentors serve as guides to their mentees and their job is to listen, and offer advice, encouragement, and support. Similar to coaches and teachers, mentors guide less-experienced people through the learning process by establishing trust and modeling positive behaviors.
Some of the benefit of mentoring to mentee
• Skill and competency development
• Overall professional development- Interpersonal and intrapersonal
• Better relationships with peers and managers
• Active involvement in projects
• Better utilization of skills
• Development of leadership skills
• Easier transition from mid-level to higher management positions
What are the differences between having and not having a mentor?
Look at the Career Development Statistics below
• 25% of employees who enrolled in a mentoring program had a salary grade change, compared to only 5% of workers who did not participate.
• Mentees are promoted 5 times more often than those without mentors.
• And mentors themselves are 6 times more likely to be promoted.
• 89% of those with mentors believe their colleagues value their work, compared with 75% who do not have mentors.
• 87% of mentors and mentees feel empowered by their mentoring relationships and have developed greater confidence.
Did you remember how you dealt with tons of troubles as a newbie in the company? Did you remember how you overcame the loss in career path and the stress of having no one to share with? Simple things that seem straightforward to you now may appear to be a complete mystery to a young person.
“BE A MENTOR – BE A FRIEND”
There are many different opportunities to give back through mentoring in Asia. Whether you are interested in mentoring in your community, mentoring online, or mentoring in schools, there’s an opportunity out there for you.
Learn more, get involved, and mentor today!